Dietary Fats and Seafood Subcommittee
- Linda Snetselaar, PhD, RDN, University of Iowa, Subcommittee Chair
- Regan Bailey, PhD, MPH, RD, Purdue University
- Joan Sabaté, MD, DrPH, Loma Linda University
- Linda Van Horn, PhD, RDN, LD, Northwestern University
- Barbara Schneeman, PhD, University of California, Davis, Chair of the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee
Nutrition Evidence Systematic Review (NESR) Team
- Joanne M. Spahn, MS, RDN, Analyst, Office of Nutrition Guidance and Analysis (ONGA), Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion (CNPP), Food and Nutrition Service (FNS), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Julia H. Kim, PhD, MPH, RD, Analyst, Panum Group
- Charlotte Bahnfleth, PhD, Analyst, Panum Group
- Gisela Butera, MLIS, MEd, Systematic Review Librarian, Panum Group
- Nancy Terry, MS, MLS, Biomedical Librarian, National Institutes of Health (NIH) Library, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Julie Obbagy, PhD, RD, Project Lead, ONGA, CNPP, FNS, USDA
- Rebecca MacIsaac, MS, RD, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP), Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health (OASH), HHS
- Julia Quam, MSPH, RDN, Division of Prevention Science, ODPHP, OASH, HHS
- Eve Essery Stoody, PhD, Designated Federal Officer and Director, ONGA, CNPP, FNS, USDA
- Janet de Jesus, MS, RD, Nutrition Advisor, ODPHP, OASH, HHS
The Committee and NESR staff thank the USDA’s Agricultural Research Service for coordinating the peer review of this systematic review, and the Federal scientist peer reviewers for their time and expertise. For a list of the peer reviewers, see the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee Systematic Reviews Page.
The Dietary Fats and Seafood Subcommittee conducted 4 systematic reviews that examined the relationship between dietary fats and seafood and health outcomes:
- What is the relationship between types of dietary fat consumed and risk of cardiovascular disease?
- What is the relationship between seafood consumption during pregnancy and lactation and neurocognitive development in the child?
- What is the relationship between seafood consumption during childhood and adolescence (up to 18 years of age) and neurocognitive development?
- What is the relationship between seafood consumption during childhood and adolescence (up to 18 years of age) and risk of cardiovascular disease?
These reviews can be accessed below, and are discussed in the Scientific Report of the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, Part D: Chapters 2, 3, and 9, which are available at DietaryGuidelines.gov.
For information on all systematic reviews conducted by the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee with support from NESR, including details about NESR’s systematic review methodology, see the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee Systematic Reviews Page.
Every systematic review contains a summary, description, and synthesis of the evidence, data and risk of bias tables, graded conclusion statements, and research recommendations. The systematic review also details the protocol used in conducting the systematic review, including the analytic framework, inclusion and exclusion criteria, literature search strategy, searching and screening results, and lists of included and excluded articles. In addition, both a technical abstract and plain language summary are provided for each of the systematic reviews.